Skip to main content

there is an unspoken rule about this kind of thing

Last Sunday my roommate Holly and I brunched at Sophie's Bistro on Nolensville Road. The service was...surprising.

As I ordered my 3-egg omelet with 5-year cheese, spinach, and bacon, the waitress gazed intently into my eyes, nodding her head, drinking in every word of my order, her doe-eyes silently communicating concern and approval simultaneously. I get nervous when this phenomenon occurs.

My roommate ordered a similar dish - the 3-egg omelet as well, only with 3 other choices inside, specifically I do not remember. I apparently was not the only one.

As the waitress whisked herself away to put in our order, I immediately looked at Holly, held my left hand out, palm up, and began to imitate the motion of writing with my right hand, as if to silently say, "write it down lady!" She nodded in agreement, then excused herself to the restroom.

No more than 15 seconds after Holly left the table, the following conversation took place between me and our waitress, whom we will refer to as Sophie.

Sophie: I'm sorry Miss, I did not write down your order and I have forgotten what your friend said she wanted in her omelet. (I am internally shocked and sympathetic of course, but remain externally calm and unaffected.) Now, you ordered the omelet with bacon, spinach, and cheese - is that right?

Me: Yes, that's right!

Sophie: I just can't remember what you're friend ordered - do you?

Me: No, I'm sorry, I really wasn't shooting laser signals through her pupils with my eyes like you were paying attention when she was ordering.

Sophie: Oh, yes, I see...well I'm almost certain she ordered the onions, cheese, and sausage. Though I wish I could be sure...

Me: (nodding and gazing sympathetically at her with the best doe-eyes I could muster)

Sophie: Did she go to the restroom?

Me: Yes.

Sophie: Ok, well I'll go put this order in!

Me: (thinking, "so, what - are you going to pop your head in the restroom and ask her?")

About 2 minutes later, Holly comes back to the table. "I had a visitor," she says.

Comments

Malia said…
LOL!!!!!
John H said…
did she write on toilet paper the second time? sheesh.

funny post. congrats for getting featured on NIT!
Tanya said…
Too funny! I was going to comment with a LOL, too but Malia already beat me to it.
Emily Gray said…
thanks John (et.al). I admit I was pretty stoked about NIT as well :)
Malia said…
Oh, snap! I missed the NiT link (but I did go and look for it and found it)! Go you!! ::sniffsniff:: I'm...so...proud ::sniffsniff::
Anonymous said…
Hmmm, I go to Sophies at least once a week for brunch or dinner. My service expierence has alway's been wonderful. I have had everything one the dnner menu and you will not find better! I enjoy dinning and do often. Above you never mentioned the food? And for someone who seems to like to write, could you not think of another name for the server other then Sophie?
Anonymous said…
Wow... Emily...You sound like a total bitch. Maybe "Sophie" picked up on that.. With the laser beams and all. I have only had great service there. The people that staff it seem like a family. The only complaint I have is that Sophie's is too close to my house. It is a really great place. I think I'm going to go get the crab salad right now..... It rocks...

Mike R >>> Sugar Valley

Popular posts from this blog

no pressure over capuccino

This morning, my iPod played this song for me. My iPod has been playing this for me quite frequently. Weird considering it's on 'shuffle'. For some reason, my iPod likes this song. For some reason, I like this song. I have a special affinity for songs that reference Jesus and the Bible written by people who don't profess to be Christians (another great one is Dave Matthews' "A Christmas Song"). It's always interesting to see these figures from a secular point of view. I googled the lyrics this morning, because Alanis is Canadian :-p Some of the most important words were not what I previously thought they were. And now I like it even more. Disclaimer: I don't pretend to understand this song completely (especially the origin of the title), but I really like that it makes me think. Any intuitive comments about the meaning of this song will be rewarded with great awe. Side note: all the "90's" references, I think, are meant to convey &qu

you are what you see

If you visit here regularly, you may (or may not) have noticed something. I don't blog about t.v. shows. This is because I don't really watch t.v. that much. Yes, I have one, and yes, I have cable. And yes, I do, on occasion, decide to sit down and relax by voluntarily turning off my brain and turning on that blackhole box. But I don't have a show . I don't want a show. I want to explain why. This post is dedicated to those of you out there who have a show, have too many shows, or think you need a show. And you all know I know you know who you all are... Top Ten reasons why you do not need a show: 10. You are what you see. This could be bad if you are watching - well anything. Unless you are watching your own reality t.v. show, and then that would be, just, meta - and therefore redundant, and also a little bit egomaniacal . But I digress. 9. Studies show watching teevee produces less brain activity than sleeping. It also has an adverse affect on your ability to discern

my very second blogger meet-up

I was remiss in posting about my very first blogger meet-up, which was over the Christmas holiday. Somehow, the stars aligned, and my sister & I (who live in Nashville) were able to meet Lisa (who lives in VA) and her family, in Florida. Nothin' like the comforts of common territory when meeting those all-elusive 'internet' friends for the first time. Lisa's dad is also a blogger, and the night before we all met, I happened to see a comment of his on my preacher's blog . Additionally, for the first time that night, I noticed that Lisa has blogrolled a friend of mine from college who I didn't even know had a blog. We can play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon later. I need to get back to my post here... But before I do, I want to say thanks to Lisa & her family for being my very first blogger meet-up! It was fun. But more than that, it brought a sense of satisfaction that this thing we all do called 'blogging' is not just a hobby, or a hope for recognition