Skip to main content

how cute is SHE?

Cute? Yes. Amazing? Definitely. Legendary? Always.
Before I begin oding to Patty Griffin, I'd like to share a story.

Monday night I went to a friend's brand new house in Mt. Juliet that she won on a reality t.v. show so we could watch a personal screening of the show that will publicly air on Saturday May 5 (yes, really.) I told her, I'm going to see Patty Griffin at the Ryman tomorrow night! She said, "oh yeah!?, the one with the red hair?!" I said, "yes!" and immediately felt in my heart that this friend did not know who Patty Griffin was, but was instead, erringly referring to KATHY GRIFFIN!

Oh yes. Yes she did.

Errrrr.....

On to a happier story.

Patty was beautiful, and humble, and soulful, and girly. All the things I love about her, plus. She wore a light green sparkly cocktail dress with flaming red stilettos that mirrored her hair. She was a vision. She's also very tiny. Did you know that? Yes, very tiny.

She pranced onto the stage like a child approaching the gifts under the tree on Christmas morning. She was giddy, and Nashville sat in silent awe as she carefully sat down at the piano to begin with a little french diddy her grandmother used to sing. I wish I knew what she was singing about. It sounded like love wrote a lullaby, but it was probably about turnip greens. It doesn't really matter either way. It was magnificent.

After that she stood and chose a guitar and the band came out and they were miraculous and moving and I promise nobody's voice laces a cello and upright bass like Patty's. There were moments when you could not decipher her from the strings. And then there were moments when all you heard was her big melodic bellow coming from that tiny whimsical frame. And she would giggle when we clapped as if it were all too much for little 'ol her. I love when they're humble.

Patty took us on a ride all the way from Stay On the Ride (my personal fav from Children Running Through) to Trapeze, to the only "happy" song she ever wrote - Burgundy Shoes, to an acoustic Mary during which the entire audience let out a collective and audible breath when she sang its first note, to Gettin' Ready which fulfilled the 'rock your face off' concert requirement, and of course a love song for her dog. Can you guess it? It's only her biggest, newest single right now. Yup. Heavenly Day. Wrote it for her dog. That's what she said. And then she closed the show with three songs, one being Rain. I swear I thought raindrops would fall through the ceiling at her mere symphonic request.

At the end of the evening, when all was sung and done, I was a satisfied fan. I felt it was much more than a showcase of rare talent and genuine character. I felt like Patty had come to see us -Nashville, to play at the famed Ryman, to walk among ghosts and leave her own spirit drifting in the shadows of history. To take the stage and present a song or two that would leave her heart, travel through her lips and be received as a gift. That's what it felt like. So thanks Patty. And come again.

For a couple of other (more eloquent) accounts of the experience that is Ms. Griffin-Live at the Ryman, go here and here.

Comments

holly wynne said…
Yes! THIS is what I meant to write. Perfect perfect perfect.
Emily Gray said…
weird...cuz i totally meant to say what YOU wrote.
Anonymous said…
I sorta wanted to go to this, but I didn't realize it was tomorrow, and I am flying out of town. D'oh!
Anonymous said…
Emily, my dear, I wrote about the concert, you wrote the book.

Not that there's a competition, but you are being way too nice about 'more eloquent' at least when it refers to my piece.

Most importantly..isn't PG amazing. I've turned so many people on to her..it's easy..listen to Flaming Red or the latest CD. I've been a big fan for nearly ten years, and I've seen her live eight or nine times. Last night was THE BESt.
holly wynne said…
I'm going to agree about the too nice thing referring to my stuff too. Brings way too much expectation, then they read my ramblings, then they says to themselves, "why did I click away from Emily's page again?" Cool it, chica.

Popular posts from this blog

no pressure over capuccino

This morning, my iPod played this song for me. My iPod has been playing this for me quite frequently. Weird considering it's on 'shuffle'. For some reason, my iPod likes this song. For some reason, I like this song. I have a special affinity for songs that reference Jesus and the Bible written by people who don't profess to be Christians (another great one is Dave Matthews' "A Christmas Song"). It's always interesting to see these figures from a secular point of view. I googled the lyrics this morning, because Alanis is Canadian :-p Some of the most important words were not what I previously thought they were. And now I like it even more. Disclaimer: I don't pretend to understand this song completely (especially the origin of the title), but I really like that it makes me think. Any intuitive comments about the meaning of this song will be rewarded with great awe. Side note: all the "90's" references, I think, are meant to convey &qu

my very second blogger meet-up

I was remiss in posting about my very first blogger meet-up, which was over the Christmas holiday. Somehow, the stars aligned, and my sister & I (who live in Nashville) were able to meet Lisa (who lives in VA) and her family, in Florida. Nothin' like the comforts of common territory when meeting those all-elusive 'internet' friends for the first time. Lisa's dad is also a blogger, and the night before we all met, I happened to see a comment of his on my preacher's blog . Additionally, for the first time that night, I noticed that Lisa has blogrolled a friend of mine from college who I didn't even know had a blog. We can play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon later. I need to get back to my post here... But before I do, I want to say thanks to Lisa & her family for being my very first blogger meet-up! It was fun. But more than that, it brought a sense of satisfaction that this thing we all do called 'blogging' is not just a hobby, or a hope for recognition

local Nashville girl turns 30...

...and the intersection of Murfreesboro Rd. and Thompson Ln. wins "No. 1 site for car accidents in Metro Nashville." Coincidence?? I think not. When something this great happens, everyone wants a piece of the action. Finally, the happiest day of the year has come. After a whole weekend of pre-party celebrating, my big day is here, and bigger than ever. I am thirty today. It's been a long road. I thirty year road. I worked hard to get here. Survived countless potential car accidents, dodged all possible life-threatening illnesses, and legions of unknown potential mortal hazards just to be here today. Not everyone can say that. I'm not even kidding actually. I feel really blessed to have made it this far; witnessing tragedy around me, but never really coming face to face with it. I'm not really sure why I get to lead such a charmed life while the world around seems to be crumbling. All I know is I'm thankful. Details to come on why this is the B-E-S-T birthday