Skip to main content

five years later (part deux)

It's my anniversary.
With Nashville.
Five years ago today I set out from Tampa FL in my Honda Civic crammed full of my most prized posessions, my mom riding shotgun, and a star in my eye (I can't believe I just typed that). We headed north to the deep south. Destination = new life.
We arrived late the next night. We were greeted by my 1 1/2 year old niece, my sister three years my senior (even still to this day! some things never change...), her husband - the brother I never had, and a home-made poster that said "Welcome to Nashville". I still have that poster.
They lived in a tiny 2 bedroom condo in Green Hills. I lived in the attic. For 4 months. It's good to have family.
I really love this city. I hope it loves me.

Dear Nashville,
Thanks for being my home over the last 5 years. Maybe you'll let me stay a little while longer? We've had our ups and downs. Remember when I first got here and I knocked on your door and you were all like, "who's there?", and I was all like, "hey, my name is Emily...can I live here?", and you were all like, "I don't know you", and I was all like, "just give me a chance!". Remember how you refused to employ me for like 4 months so I would get fed up and leave? Hahaha, that was funny! I mean, at the time it was NOT. But I am so happy we can look back on that now and laugh. Aren't you? But then you FINALLY gave me a job and I was so happy and I went right out that weekend and leased an apartment. And then 6 weeks later my job was gone. Hahaha, you were such a kidder back then! I'm glad you had a better job waiting right around the corner for me. I didn't even miss a paycheck! ...such a prankster.
Remember when I told you how much I loved snow, and then the very next winter you dumped so much on us that I was stuck on the interstate for 6 hours? Now every time I hear John Mayer's Room for Squares I think of that day. Only because I listened to it about 7 1/2 times while I was stuck on a closed I-40.
Remember when we saw ZZ Top eating tacos at SATCO?
Remember when we saw Faith Hill eating waffle fries at Chic-fil-A?
Nashville, whenever times get tough, think of those better days. We'll get through it together.
I hope that now that I've been here for 5 years I have paid my dues and you will stop trying to get me to leave.
Your Loving & Faithful Resident,
Emily

Comments

Ellyn said…
I dunno...Nashville doesn't sound like a very city to me! Burke, now that's a town! The mom and pop petstore opening just for me on Christmas eve day to sell me a killer beta fish so that my daughter's best friend could have the perfect Christmas gift. The local mom and pop Greek restaurant that now knows me over the phone and puts in our families standing order and comes out to the curb and brings me my food, so I don't have to get out and go in! Same people ask me about my children. The same town also has a chain grocery store where the stockboy/man always grabs my favorite kind of bread of the shelf for me when he sees me coming down the aisle. The spanish speaking check out clerk, speaks to me in spanish cause he knows that my kid is fluent so ergo I am too...he thinks it is genetic! I just smile and nod!

Now that is a town! But Emily--you live on in good ole Nashville! Why? Cuase it's great to be near your neice and nephew and see them grow up and have a relationship with them!
Malia said…
Can't believe she's dissin' the town that brought her into this world!! Does your pharmacist call to see how your kids are doing after being on the antibiotic for a few days?? Huh? Huh? Ok, so maybe I also go to church with my pharmacist, but still!

Emily, it's been so wonderful to have you here, so close, for the last five years. I remember making that poster (I learned new stuff about Tennessee by making it!). I remember feeling so bad that we only had that attic room that was soooo cold in the winter months for you to stay in. And you getting the stomach flu with the rest of the family that January - I was so worried that you would miss an interview because of it.

I loved getting to show you are "new" house when we moved out of that tiny condo! I loved getting to see you hold Boo-boo as a new born. I love the relationship you have with my children.

Being here for birthdays and holidays, a dependable babysitter, a generous sister, sister-in-law and aunt - we are so very glad that you are here.

Happy Anniversary!!
Ellyn said…
Well no he doesn't. BUT the man who owns the gas station/car repair place--again a mom and pop place--has held our check for us for a week until we had the money in the bank so our van could get fixed. That though may relly have to do with the fact that between the 2 cars we have given him almost $3000 this year alone! He has also been known to do work for free!!!

What say you NOW Nashville? smile :)
Ellyn said…
Yeah and I can't really top the whole seeing famous people. An occasional, Robert Duvall sighting at Sweetwater. Maybe a senator or 2. Jay gets some big wigs in his restaurant--sports and political. but those are not in Burke.
Malia said…
My car repair place will let me pay them back as I can if I can't cough up the entire fee at one time. :-P
Emily Gray said…
I forgot to mention the time Nashville gave me my first AND second speeding tickets. That was awesome. And I also saw Clint Black at Green Hills Grille. He's short.
I heart me some Nashville.
Ellyn said…
thats the same as holding a check malicious! that one doesn't count!

VA. has never given me a ticket! Talked my way out of everyone of 'em. It also helps to worship with a local law enforcement agent or 2.

And a chiropracter! he doesn't get me out of tickets but he does keep the ole back from seizing up!
Emily Gray said…
I cannot, in good conscience, talk my way of something I know I deserve. How DO you sleep at night ellyn????!!!

Popular posts from this blog

no pressure over capuccino

This morning, my iPod played this song for me. My iPod has been playing this for me quite frequently. Weird considering it's on 'shuffle'. For some reason, my iPod likes this song. For some reason, I like this song. I have a special affinity for songs that reference Jesus and the Bible written by people who don't profess to be Christians (another great one is Dave Matthews' "A Christmas Song"). It's always interesting to see these figures from a secular point of view. I googled the lyrics this morning, because Alanis is Canadian :-p Some of the most important words were not what I previously thought they were. And now I like it even more. Disclaimer: I don't pretend to understand this song completely (especially the origin of the title), but I really like that it makes me think. Any intuitive comments about the meaning of this song will be rewarded with great awe. Side note: all the "90's" references, I think, are meant to convey &qu

my very second blogger meet-up

I was remiss in posting about my very first blogger meet-up, which was over the Christmas holiday. Somehow, the stars aligned, and my sister & I (who live in Nashville) were able to meet Lisa (who lives in VA) and her family, in Florida. Nothin' like the comforts of common territory when meeting those all-elusive 'internet' friends for the first time. Lisa's dad is also a blogger, and the night before we all met, I happened to see a comment of his on my preacher's blog . Additionally, for the first time that night, I noticed that Lisa has blogrolled a friend of mine from college who I didn't even know had a blog. We can play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon later. I need to get back to my post here... But before I do, I want to say thanks to Lisa & her family for being my very first blogger meet-up! It was fun. But more than that, it brought a sense of satisfaction that this thing we all do called 'blogging' is not just a hobby, or a hope for recognition

a call for linkage

Warning: I'm about to be shameless. So a lot of you know that I write for another site called About Nashville hosted by 451Press.com. My editors are running a contest for their current writers that will pay $500 to the writer that can get the most incoming links during the month of July. Every time someone you link this blog or this site from your blog or site, I become one link closer to the cash victory. What's in it for you? My undying appreciation, of course. Kidding. I will return the favor with a little link love of my own for ya. So let's get linking!! Mama needs a new pair of shoes is trying to buy her first house this year! UPDATE : if you do choose to participate, please leave a comment or send me an email so I will know about it. Right now, I'm not sure I know any other way to catch your link.