Skip to main content

me cook pretty some day

Monday night I was invited to a birthday party for Tuesday night. I was asked to bring some kind of homemade food. After a long deliberation, I decided I would bring Campbell's Butternut Squash soup (pre-made and just heat it up). After a longer deliberation I decided that would be cheating. So I googled some butternut squash recipes and found that Campbell's had a fairly simple looking recipe on their website. By the way, when I told the host what I was bringing, she said, "oh so totally righteous!" Man, I better not let HER down! So Tuesday morning I called my sister and asked her if I could use her kitchen (cuz she has more & better cooking utensils than I), and her help (cuz she is a way more experienced cook than I). I went to Kroger on my lunch hour to gather the ingredients and read over the recipe a few times to make sure I understood.
I got to my sister's house at about 5:15 - 1 hour and 15 minutes until party time. Luckily, the party house was just right around the corner from my sister's house, so I knew I could spend the bulk of my available time cooking. After all, the recipe said Prep Time: 20 minutes (first lie), Cook Time: 25 minutes (second lie).
Without posting in-toto the entire debaucle, I will instead bullet-point a few of the highlights:
  • Who knew squash was so hard to peel and cube? David ended up doing the bulk of this for me. I am okay in admitting that dealing with squash should be a man's work. He also chopped the onion and cored the apples (yes - apples).
  • I cut my finger attempting to peel and cube the squash. That was about the time David interceded.
  • I burnt my sister's arm
  • I burnt myself
  • I broke my sister's blender (a wedding gift no less)
  • I interrupted the kids' evening as I commandeered the kitchen and left no room for their dinner to be made. Boo-bear was wandering around aimlessly muttering muk, muk, muk...No doubt daized and overcome by great hunger.
  • My sister's kitchen walls and counters now have a fresh coat of butternut-squash-soup-mixture splatter (hope you like that dull orange color)
  • I didn't have enough time to clean up the kitchen - had to jet to the party!!
  • Got to the party on time before the birthday girl so as not to ruin the suprise
  • Everyone LOVED the soup. I thought it was too sweet.
  • I learned I should have brought the pre-made version.
  • I learned I have the best sister & brother-in-law in the WORLD. (sorry again about that whole mess)

I guess it's the beautiful learning moments like these that make us better people (or cooks) later on in life.

Get that "oh-so-totally-righteous" recipe here!

Comments

Ellyn said…
ah dear emily-san..you must learn the ways of the great rachael ray. If you have cable she is on the food network at 5 and 5:30 everyday (yes I did the math and that is your time)

The people who have influenced my life the most--

1. Christ
2. Jay
3. Rachael Ray

I promise every meal she makes is in 30 minutes of less...esp. if you have an extra 2 pair of hands! YOu should finish in like 10!

YOu too grasshopper have much to learn but it can be done! You must believe!
Malia said…
I still spot some spots here and there but for the most part it's all cleaned up.

No worries on the wedding present blender, I don't even remember who gave it to us!

I tried the soup that you brought back to the house, it was okay, it just wasn't my...wait for it...cup of soup! But that in no way reflects upon your culinary skills, I think I just don't care for squash.

Popular posts from this blog

no pressure over capuccino

This morning, my iPod played this song for me. My iPod has been playing this for me quite frequently. Weird considering it's on 'shuffle'. For some reason, my iPod likes this song. For some reason, I like this song. I have a special affinity for songs that reference Jesus and the Bible written by people who don't profess to be Christians (another great one is Dave Matthews' "A Christmas Song"). It's always interesting to see these figures from a secular point of view. I googled the lyrics this morning, because Alanis is Canadian :-p Some of the most important words were not what I previously thought they were. And now I like it even more. Disclaimer: I don't pretend to understand this song completely (especially the origin of the title), but I really like that it makes me think. Any intuitive comments about the meaning of this song will be rewarded with great awe. Side note: all the "90's" references, I think, are meant to convey &qu

you are what you see

If you visit here regularly, you may (or may not) have noticed something. I don't blog about t.v. shows. This is because I don't really watch t.v. that much. Yes, I have one, and yes, I have cable. And yes, I do, on occasion, decide to sit down and relax by voluntarily turning off my brain and turning on that blackhole box. But I don't have a show . I don't want a show. I want to explain why. This post is dedicated to those of you out there who have a show, have too many shows, or think you need a show. And you all know I know you know who you all are... Top Ten reasons why you do not need a show: 10. You are what you see. This could be bad if you are watching - well anything. Unless you are watching your own reality t.v. show, and then that would be, just, meta - and therefore redundant, and also a little bit egomaniacal . But I digress. 9. Studies show watching teevee produces less brain activity than sleeping. It also has an adverse affect on your ability to discern

my very second blogger meet-up

I was remiss in posting about my very first blogger meet-up, which was over the Christmas holiday. Somehow, the stars aligned, and my sister & I (who live in Nashville) were able to meet Lisa (who lives in VA) and her family, in Florida. Nothin' like the comforts of common territory when meeting those all-elusive 'internet' friends for the first time. Lisa's dad is also a blogger, and the night before we all met, I happened to see a comment of his on my preacher's blog . Additionally, for the first time that night, I noticed that Lisa has blogrolled a friend of mine from college who I didn't even know had a blog. We can play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon later. I need to get back to my post here... But before I do, I want to say thanks to Lisa & her family for being my very first blogger meet-up! It was fun. But more than that, it brought a sense of satisfaction that this thing we all do called 'blogging' is not just a hobby, or a hope for recognition